Wednesday, January 9, 2013

We All Fall Down


     Before grade 10 began my extended family took a trip with my family to Israel for my sister and cousin's joint bat mitzvah. This proved to be disastrous for me. Hours upon hours of mandatory walking made it impossible for me to enjoy even a second of it. I eventually gave up and stayed in whatever room we were staying in while everyone else went to the top of Masada. A certain individual (not here to name and shame) berated me for not being a part of the family on this very special trip. This darkened my mood significantly. Up to that point I had participated in everything and it was simply too painful to continue. As if I didn't feel bad enough for missing out, they insisted it made me a worse person to have done so. I don't totally blame them because even I didn't entirely understand my situation yet so how could those around me? I was playing games on the computer while I waited for the rest of the family's excursion to end so it did seem like I was choosing my computer over the family, but this simply wasn't the case. Regardless, these encounters made me spiteful and angry which added to my depressed/miserable mood. 
   If I had to pick a time where I think things really started falling apart for me it would be 10th grade. I took on too much and paid the price. 10th grade would be my last year at a private herbrew school that has its students take 11 courses at once in three different languages. It's a challenge in itself, but when you're missing as much school as I did it becomes nigh on impossible. This coupled with the experimentation of different medications by my psychiatrist would prove too much. Things were much the same as the previous year where I would force myself to go to school regardless of exhaustion and pain. The pivotal moment of realization for both the school and myself that things weren't working out occurred in a music class. At this point in time I was on a number of medications that evidently I was unable to tolerate. I'd be dizzy whenever I stood up, and at the end of class, when I did so, I fainted. Everyone, including myself, was pushing me to go to school and not give up. Obviously I was pushed too far. The school called an ambulance as is procedure and I was taken to the hospital. It made me feel awful. I'd been convincing myself that making it to school was a victory but even when I did my medical problems brought me right back out. I got talking with the administration and we agreed it would be best for me to drop some courses and try to finish the year; after which I'd need to figure my situation out if I were to realistically continue at Hebrew school. Something good did come out of the fainting incident though, a friend of mine at school noticed how much trouble I was having and he took it upon himself to come up with a Facebook group for my grade to take part in. In this group everyone could share notes on the many classes I missed to help me get the marks to pass, and so he named it Marks for Mitch. It actually still exists to this day even though I no longer attend Hebrew School, for it evolved into a group where the whole grade shares notes with each other and everyone benefits. Even after switching schools I would still check in every now and then to see what people are up to.
   Changing medication is always a risk so even with the fainting incident we hoped it was isolated and that it wouldn't happen again. Of course we were wrong. I went to a winter camp over winter break that year and slept through most of it, but even with the sleep I needed I encountered another crisis. I found myself experiencing a common side effect of medication, a dry throat, but this dry throat wasn't alleviated by drinking water. I was downing cup after cup but my throat stayed extremely soar. I must have been close to 10 cups when I became alarmed and called my dad. As the phone was ringing and I was hurrying upstairs to go somewhere quiet, someone ran through a door I was next to and accidentally slammed it in my face. This proved to be the straw that broke the Mitch's back for I fainted again. At the hospital they said I have a minor concussion, but also that I was probably about to faint anyway thanks to the medication; the door to the face just sped it up. Finally, we got rid of that medication and tried stronger stuff like codeine, which gave me some relief but at an even greater price.
    By early 2010 I wasn't myself anymore. The happy, energetic, child I was was gone and replaced with a depressed, drugged, frustrated teenager version of me. I developed amnesia from the stronger medication and my mind was slower. The temporary relief Codeine brought allowed me to make it to school more often, but I couldn't think properly. If you've ever been on narcotics for an extended period of time you know what I'm talking about. Your mind becomes cloudy; you think and even speak slower. The other problem with narcotics is that they're are addictive and tolerance to their effects builds fast, so the dosage had to keep being raised. Now I felt not only physically but mentally chained. I became suicidal. What would then occur was a perfect storm of trouble for someone having suicidal ideation: a very bad day. First off, I woke up and was in even worse pain than usual, but also as usual I forced myself to go to school. Then we were watching a movie in hebrew class, in which one of the characters kills themselves while in a Nazi prison. It brought all my dark thoughts up at once and so I immediately got picked up from school by family friends (my parents were busy) to get away from the terrifying thoughts. I couldn't afford to spend another day without catching up on work so I decided to watch a different seemingly tame movie for English class: Dead Poet's Society. If you've seen that movie you know where this is going. Unfortunately (spoilers) the main character in that movie also kills themselves. At this point I flipped out and broke down so my family friends took me home (I was watching the movie with them at their house). So now I'm home alone, in agonizing pain, with my mind in a very dark place, A perfect storm, indeed. All of my medications for each week is kept in a little plastic container with a slot for each day. Dozens upon dozens of pills. I took them all...

No comments:

Post a Comment